You Don't Know Me by Olaniyi Olawunmi

Listen.
Listen to the noise of silence.
Listen to the beating of heartbeats.
Listen.
Listen to the battle songs of many a King,
Listen to the tales I spread,
Listen to me,
Watch as I bring down Kings,
See as I exalt the deceitful.
I am powerful,
I burn the hems of garments,
And bring men to their knees.

See. Even gods lose their powers over me.
I am everywhere,
In your house,
Roaming around your hearts,
A weapon even the devil submits to for help.
Yes,
I am mindless, but I control your minds.
I turn the heads of many,
And rule several countries,
I own the Earth,
Yet.
You never knew me.

You never knew when I slept on your couch,
When I was used as a medium of exchange,
When you told me you loved me,
And caressed me,
You never knew when you submitted to me,
And begged me for help,
You never knew when you seek me,
And even bowed in awe of me.
You never knew me.
You never knew when I walked into your hearts,
I didn't sneak,
I need not do that,
You invited me in,
Set before me a table,
Filled my cups,
And got drunken in merriment,
You never knew me.

I am me.
I am Lie



©Olaniyi Olawunmi
All rights reserved 2017.

Comments

Popular Posts